Monday, September 20, 2010

Mixing business with pleasure: a job search application on Facebook?

   As a college student I spend a majority of my free time on Facebook. Its the most convenient way to catch up with all my friends and keep track of who's doing what. While most of us use Facebook as a means of gossiping, a large number of people have started using it like LinkedIn, for job networking.

   A new Facebook application called "BranchOut" allows users to post job openings, find and make new important business contacts with "friend of a friend" features, and apply for jobs. With 85% of college students using Facebook, it seems like the perfect platform for a job application to thrive on.

   BranchOut is currently available for download on Facebook. Check out the video below for an introduction to BranchOut. Would you use this Facebook app to find a job after college? Comment and let us know what you think.



by: Caitlin Carver
ccarver@flagler.edu

7 comments:

  1. I would totally use this. Facebook is really becoming a varied platform that allows users to socialize, network, sell things on Marketplace, advertise and, now, job search. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really awesome! I'd use it for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so informative. As a current graduate student (and alumni of Flagler!) I definitely worry about finding a job in the future. Very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I am well past the age of college student, I am going to look into this feature to help me locate part-time work as my husband and I "snow-bird" this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome! I always heard alot of good things about linkedin, perhaps this is the new and improved platform?

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is so great and such a good idea! very informative and easy to understand.

    ReplyDelete